Sunday, November 8, 2015

You're welcome

You're welcome…..

newish ER nurse who took over my assignment, all except for the transfer to Big City Trauma Center.  That one I kept.   I saw the petrified look in your eye because my patient, pending transfer to Big Trauma Center who rolled in 30 minutes before the end of my shift, was a shit show.

Because we both know I can never just walk away from that.

But….

Instead of treating it like a learning experience, maybe checking to see what you could do for me, pull meds, make a phone call…..you sat on your ass and ate the hamburger you bought on the way in while I, who did not get dinner, ran around like a chicken with my head cut off.  Then I left work 90 minutes after my shift ended, having packed off said shit-show and given report to the transfer medics and transfer hospital.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

I will not be quick to help you out with any future shit shows.  Curtain closed.

4 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

What a bitch !~! God, I hate lazy asses who take advantage of conscientious workers.

You, my nurse of the month, are the true hero in this story. May you be working the next time I need to be taken care of.

EDNurseasauras said...

Thanks!! No hero here, just an inability to not finish what I start!

Unknown said...

Must say, why is it our generation would do back flips to pay it forward, while the newest generation of nurses expect us to take the sickest/most difficult patients? My new mantra is " Sorry Hon, you need this experience more than I do". Right now, I am the oldest nurse on my team (homecare) and my coworkers and nurse manager are my daughter's' ages.

EDNurseasauras said...

There is always one who just doesn't seem to pick up on that kind of stuff. Most I work with are team players, fortunately. Toddler nurses I call them, they are 10 years younger than my own kids. And most of the docs.