Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Keeping Count

I had inexplicably become the week's IV Ninja, having been asked to start a number of difficult ones.  Apparently I am more accommodating than Best Paramedic on the Planet who always seems to have 5 (minimum) other tasks to accomplish before he can get to it.  I have learned to trade tasks, such as requesting vital signs or medication for one of my patients.  This usually works well.

I came out of the 3rd room within 45 minutes after my latest success to, "Did you get it?  Did you get the labs?" Yes, and yes.

"But I think that's it", I said.  "I am probably out of Hail Mary's for the day, maybe even the week."

"Indeed", said Partner sagely.  "Like heartbeats, there are only a finite number of miraculous IV starts.  You never know when it will be your last, grasshopper".

True.  Karma is a bitch.

No comments: